Updated AGAIN: Top-25 List of Mitt Romney’s All-Time, Out-of-Touch, 1% Moments
Feb. 2, 2012
Top-25 List of Mitt Romney’s All-Time, Out-of-Touch, 1% Moments
Just an “ordinary” Swiss Bank account? “Not concerned about the very poor”? Dishonest promises “never go after Medicare or Social Security”? The Top 25-List Needed Another Update as Badly as Donald Trump Needed Publicity Today…
25) Sept. 8, 2011: Former U.S. Senate candidate, former Governor, and two-time Presidential candidate Romney: “I Don’t Have a Political Career.”
23) Jan. 12, 2012: Romney NOW on Bain Capital job killing/outsourcing: Politico, ‘Losing a job is 'devastating,' “a tragedy” // Romney THEN on Bain Capital job killing/outsourcing: New York Times, June 4, 2007: “Sometimes the medicine is a little bitter” // Boston Globe, January 27, 2008: In assessing deals, Romney and partners didn't consider whether they saved or created jobs, according to a former Bain employee who requested anonymity, citing confidentiality guidelines. When Bain partners discussed shutting down failing businesses in which they invested, Romney never suggested they had to do something to save workers' jobs. "It was very clinical," the former employee said. "Like a doctor. When the patient is dead, you just move on to the next patient."
21) The Hill, August 29, 2011: ‘Romney: Beachfront home is being doubled in size, not quadrupled’
20) Gawker, June 21, 2011: ‘Romney Struggles to Find Non-$100 Bill in Wallet’
19) Romney calls $1,500 in tax relief for middle-class “temporary little band-aids”
18) CBS News, Sept. 21, 2011: Romney calls for a tax policy that will help "us" in the middle class // In related note: Boston Globe, Jan. 25, 2012: Romney on personal worth: “It’s between $150 and about $200 some-odd million dollars, I think that’s what the estimates are.”
17) Huffington Post, Nov. 8, 2011: Romney: Federal Workers Are Making More Money Than I Am
16) Wall Street Journal, June 16, 2011: Romney’s Latest Laugh Line: ‘I’m Also Unemployed’
15) TIME, June 27, 2007: Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation: “Romney strapped a dog carrier — with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it — to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus's rather visceral protest.”
14) ABC News, June 2, 2012: “Romney responded "yes" when asked if he would sign the plan written by Rep. Paul Ryan that would restructure Medicare if it reached his desk as President.” [SEE ALSO: FACT: Ryan-GOP Budget Plan “would essentially end Medicare”]
13) Think Progress, Jan. 5, 2012: ‘Romney’s Tax Plan Gives Millionaires A $150K Tax Cut, Raises Taxes On Low-Income Families // [IN RELATED NOTE: Think Progress: Jan. 17, “Romney Admits His Tax Rate Is About 15 Percent, Lower Than Many Middle Class Families” // New York Magazine, Jan. 11, 2012: ‘Mitt Romney Says We Must Only Speak of Income Inequality in ‘Quiet Rooms’
12) RHETORIC: Romney, Jan. 30, 2012: “We will never go after Medicare or Social Security, we will protect those programs.” // REALITY: Washington Monthly, December 9, 2011: ‘Romney doubles down on Medicare privatization’ // Associated Press, September 17: “Most of the top Republicans running for president are embracing plans to partially privatize Social Security…Romney says the stock market collapse in 2008 shouldn't scare workers away from investing in private accounts.” // DNC Memo, Jan. 27, 2012: ‘Romney's Involvement in Damon Corporation's Medicare Fraud’ : During his 2002 run for governor, Romney told reporters that, while sitting on the board of Damon Corporation, he “blew the whistle” and “put in place a program to stop [the fraud] immediately.” … In fact, court records show that Damon’s fraudulent activities persisted until Corning Inc. put a stop to them and even then-U.S. Attorney Donald Stern said that there was no proof that Romney did anything to alert investigators of the company’s illegal actions.
11) Mother Jones, Oct. 18, 2011: Mitt on Foreclosures: “Let It...Hit the Bottom"
10) Buzzfeed, Jan. 17, 2012: ‘Democrats Jump On Romney For Calling $374k In Speaking Fees “Not Very Much” Money’
9) Think Progress, Jan. 19, 2012: ‘Mitt Romney: I Have ‘Lived In The Real Streets Of America’// BuzzFeed, Jan. 19: “ Here's a gallery of his homes…”
8) CBS News, Dec. 10. 2011: ‘Romney seeks $10,000 bet during GOP debate’
7) Boston Globe, Jan. 8, 2012: “Mitt Romney says he knows the fear of a possible pink slip, but does not provide details”
6) New York Times op-ed, November 18, 2008: “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt,” by Mitt Romney [In related note: WH Blog: ‘Resurgence of the American Auto Industry’ In the face of stiff opposition, the President made a tough choice to help provide the auto industry the temporary support it needed to rebuild their companies and get moving again. Today, the American auto industry is coming back, creating jobs and moving cars off the line. Last month, the automotive industry added nearly 11,000 positions, bringing the total number of jobs added in the fourth quarter of 2011 to 36,000. The industry added 100,000 jobs over the course of 2011.]
5) CBS News, Jan. 9, 2012: Romney: “I like being able to fire people”
4) ABC News, Jan. 18, 2012: “Romney Parks Millions in Cayman Islands” // L.A. Times, Jan. 26, 2012: ‘Romney tax returns detail funds not identified in ethics forms’: A review … found that at least 23 funds and partnerships listed in the couple’s 2010 tax returns did not show up or were not listed in the same fashion on Romney’s most recent financial disclosure, including 11 based in low-tax foreign countries such as Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Luxembourg. /// Romney money manager Brad Malt on previously undisclosed Swiss Bank account: “It’s a bank account, nothing more, nothing less. An ordinary bank account.” // Boston Globe, Jan. 30, 2012: In 2007, as Romney prepared his first run for president, Malt sold stock in dozens of potentially controversial companies, including casino operators, tobacco growers, and firms with ties to Iran. Last year, after Romney pushed for tougher trade sanctions against China, Malt dumped a number of Chinese holdings. He recently shed a money market mutual fund that had invested in government-backed mortgage companies, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which are blamed for exacerbating the housing bust.
3) CNN, Feb. 1, 2012: Romney: ‘I’m not concerned with the very poor.’
2) Think Progress, August 11, 2012: Romney: ‘Corporations Are People, My Friend’
1) THIS PHOTO from Romney’s days as CEO of Bain Capital, where he made obscene profits (and continues to reap profits from) as [at least] five of the companies under his firm's direction went bankrupt and thousands of workers lost their jobs. Apparently, finding places to stuff all those profits became something of a joke amongst Romney and his cohorts. Mitt’s “Greed is good,” profits-before-people attitude perfectly encapsulated in the photo is celebrated by Americans United’s mock “Romney-Gekko 2012” campaign as nothing to be ashamed of. Visit www.RomneyGekko.com