Updated Top-25 List of Mitt Romney’s All-Time, Out-of-Touch, 1% Moments – March Madness Edition
March 15, 2012
At #22, Romney again reminds us he has the “team owner” demographic in the bag
At #24, Romney – who constantly reminds people how rich he is – gets testy when asked about his wealth: ‘Guess What? I made a lot of money…I’m not going to apologize for that.” Guess that means Romney also makes no apology for HOW he made his fortune: firing thousands of workers and bankrupting companies.
At #8, After sparking immediate outrage by declaring ‘We’re Going To Get Rid Of’ Planned Parenthood,’ Romney mistakenly believes he’s in the clear by clarifying he only “wants to strip the organization of federal funds.” Two new polls show how he remains completely disconnected with reality when it comes to women’s health.
25) Romney: "The Trees Are the Right Height"
24) ROMNEY, Mar 14, 2012: ‘GUESS WHAT? I MADE A LOT OF MONEY; “I’ve been very successful. I’m not going to apologize for that.”’ // And guess what? Romney makes no apologies for how he made a lot of money: “bankrupting five profitable businesses that ended up firing thousands of workers.”. Romney on Bain Capital job eliminating /outsourcing: New York Times, June 4, 2007: “Sometimes the medicine is a little bitter” // Boston Globe, January 27, 2008: In assessing deals, Romney and partners didn't consider whether they saved or created jobs, according to a former Bain employee who requested anonymity, citing confidentiality guidelines. When Bain partners discussed shutting down failing businesses in which they invested, Romney never suggested they had to do something to save workers' jobs. "It was very clinical," the former employee said. "Like a doctor. When the patient is dead, you just move on to the next patient."
23) ‘ROMNEY: MY WIFE DRIVES ‘A COUPLE OF CADILLACS’ , Think Progress, Feb. 24, 2012
22) TIE: Romney Not A NASCAR Fan, But Has ‘Some Great Friends’ Who Own Teams’ , Think Progress, Feb. 27, 2012: ‘/ / Romney: ‘I’ve Got A Lot Of Good Friends’ Who Are NFL Team Owners, Think Progress, March 12, 2012
20) ‘Romney: Beachfront home is being doubled in size, not quadrupled’, The Hill, August 29, 2011:
19) ‘Romney Struggles to Find Non-$100 Bill in Wallet’, Gawker, June 21, 2011:
18) Romney calls $1,500 in tax relief for the middle-class “temporary little band-aids”
17) Romney calls for a tax policy that will help "us" in the middle class, CBS News, Sept. 21, 2011 // In related note: Boston Globe, Jan. 25, 2012: Romney on personal worth: “It’s between $150 and about $200 some-odd million dollars, I think that’s what the estimates are.”
16) Romney: Federal Workers Are Making More Money Than I Am , Huffington Post, Nov. 8, 2011:
15) TIE : Romney’s Latest Laugh Line: ‘I’m Also Unemployed’, Wall Street Journal, June 16, 2011 // “Mitt Romney says he knows the fear of a possible pink slip, but does not provide details”, Boston Globe, Jan. 8, 2012
14) Think Progress, Feb. 24, 2012: ‘Romney’s New Tax Plan Gives The Richest 0.1 Percent A $264,000 Tax Cut // [In related note: New York Magazine, Jan. 11, 2012: ‘Mitt Romney Says We Must Only Speak of Income Inequality in ‘Quiet Rooms’
13) Romney: “Take a look at the Ryan plan. We’re on the same page and the same verse on that” and “We’re going to … raise the age of retirement for Social Security” , CPAC convention speech, Feb. 10, 2012: [See also FACT: Ryan-Romney budget ends Medicare as we know it and “84 percent oppose Ryan’s Medicare plan.”]
- And let Romney’s history with Medicare be the judge of how well he’d “protect it” : DNC Memo, Jan. 27, 2012: ‘Romney's Involvement in Damon Corporation's Medicare Fraud’ : During his 2002 run for governor, Romney told reporters that, while sitting on the board of Damon Corporation, he “blew the whistle” and “put in place a program to stop [the fraud] immediately.” … In fact, court records show that Damon’s fraudulent activities persisted until Corning Inc. put a stop to them and even then-U.S. Attorney Donald Stern said that there was no proof that Romney did anything to alert investigators of the company’s illegal actions.
12) Romney on Home foreclosure crisis: “Let It...Hit the Bottom" , Mother Jones, Oct. 18, 2011
11) Romney: ‘ $374k In Speaking Fees “Not Very Much” Money’, Buzzfeed, Jan. 17, 2012
10) ‘Romney: I Have ‘Lived In The Real Streets Of America’, Think Progress, Jan. 19, 2012: // BuzzFeed, Jan. 19: “ Here's a gallery of his homes…”
9) ‘Romney seeks $10,000 bet during GOP debate’, CBS News, Dec. 10. 2011:
8) Romney: ‘We’re Going To Get Rid Of’ Planned Parenthood, Think Progress, Mar 14, 2012 // [IN RELATED NOTE via Planned Parenthood, 3/3/11: Two new public polls released today show majority support for Planned Parenthood, and clear opposition to efforts to bar Planned Parenthood from receiving federal funds for preventive health care such as lifesaving cancer screenings, breast exams, birth control, and STD testing and treatment, including HIV testing.]
7) Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation, TIME, June 27, 2007: “Romney strapped a dog carrier — with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it — to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus' rather visceral protest.”
6) “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt,” by Mitt Romney , New York Times op-ed, November 18, 2008: [In related note: WH Blog: ‘Resurgence of the American Auto Industry’ In the face of stiff opposition, the President made a tough choice to help provide the auto industry the temporary support it needed to rebuild their companies and get moving again. Today, the American auto industry is coming back, creating jobs and moving cars off the line. Last month, the automotive industry added nearly 11,000 positions, bringing the total number of jobs added in the fourth quarter of 2011 to 36,000. The industry added 100,000 jobs over the course of 2011.]
5) Romney: “I like being able to fire people”, CBS News, Jan. 9, 2012:
4) “An ordinary Swiss bank account” : ABC News, Jan. 18, 2012: “Romney Parks Millions in Cayman Islands” // L.A. Times, Jan. 26, 2012: ‘Romney tax returns detail funds not identified in ethics forms’: A review … found that at least 23 funds and partnerships listed in the couple’s 2010 tax returns did not show up or were not listed in the same fashion on Romney’s most recent financial disclosure, including 11 based in low-tax foreign countries such as Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Luxembourg. /// Romney money manager Brad Malt on previously undisclosed Swiss Bank account: “It’s a bank account, nothing more, nothing less. An ordinary bank account.” // Boston Globe, Jan. 30, 2012: In 2007, as Romney prepared his first run for president, Malt sold stock in dozens of potentially controversial companies, including casino operators, tobacco growers, and firms with ties to Iran. Last year, after Romney pushed for tougher trade sanctions against China, Malt dumped a number of Chinese holdings. He recently shed a money market mutual fund that had invested in government-backed mortgage companies, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which are blamed for exacerbating the housing bust.
3) Romney: ‘I’m not concerned with the very poor.’ , CNN, Feb. 1, 2012:
2): Romney: ‘Corporations Are People, My Friend’, Think Progress, August 11, 2012
1) THIS PHOTO from Romney’s days as CEO of Bain Capital, where he made obscene profits (and continues to receive millions a dollars a year from) as [at least] five of the companies under his firm's direction went bankrupt and thousands of workers lost their jobs. Apparently, finding places to stuff all those profits became something of a joke amongst Romney and his cohorts. Mitt’s “Greed is good,” profits-before-people attitude perfectly encapsulated in the photo is celebrated by Americans United for Change’s mock “Romney-Gekko 2012” campaign as . Visit www.RomneyGekko2012.com